The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) invites you to participate in the SPARK study at Lowcountry Therapy in Bluffton, SC on Saturday October 8th!
What is SPARK?
SPARK is a community of families, autistic adults, and researchers working together to understand autism and improve lives. SPARK is researching autism across the lifespan to better understand what makes each person with autism unique — and how each child, adult, and family can get the support they need to thrive.
What does participating look like?
- Participants will be asked to complete online surveys and provide a saliva sample for genetic analysis.
- At your appointment, a MUSC SPARK team member will answer your questions and help you through the registration and saliva collection process.
- Appointments take about 30 minutes.
Who can join SPARK?
- Individuals of all ages with a diagnosis of:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) or
- Asperger's Disorder or
- Family members are invited to participate as well.
What are the benefits of joining SPARK?
By learning more about the causes of autism, we hope to better understand potential treatments and actions that might prevent issues that are common in ASD. Some of these issues may be digestive problems including constipation, or neurological conditions such as seizures. By participating in SPARK you can make a difference for someone in the future!
Other benefits of participating include:
- Receiving electronic Amazon gift codes, valued up to $50, after SPARK receives the completed saliva kits.
- The possibility of finding a genetic cause of autism in your own family.
- Getting behavioral results from surveys that let you see how you compare to others in SPARK.
- The chance to be invited to other research studies through SPARK Research Match.
- The opportunity to earn additional gift cards for completing surveys.
- Getting updates on the latest autism research through articles on our website, monthly webinars, newsletters and the latest updates on SPARK’s social media platforms.
How do I sign-up for the event?
If you would like to participate in SPARK at this event on 10/8/22, you can sign-up by:
- Completing the registration form below
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling or texting 843-714-1352
If you have already created a SPARK account and need help completing your family's enrollment or with saliva collection, we invite you to attend as well.
Questions? Contact the MUSC SPARK team by call or text at 843-714-1352 or email SPARKautism@musc.edu